This is the first edition 1938, written by Fr Patten, drawings © Enid Chadwick (second edition 1944; third edition 1952; fourth edition 1961) In the early days of the restoration of the Shrine Fr Patten sometimes described it as 'England's National Shrine of Our Lady', and some prewar publications, like this one, bear this title; in 1934 the Slipper Chapel was declared The Roman Catholic National Shrine of Our Lady, as it remains today, with the Anglican Shrine being usually known as The Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham.

England’s National Shrine

of Our Lady

Past and Present